WHAT IS A REFILL SCHEME?
A Refill Scheme is an amazing group of organised individuals, who are powering the Refill Revolution in their local area.
Between them, our community-based Refill Schemes have put thousands of Refill Stations on the map, working in their local community & helping to stop millions of plastic bottles at source. There are now over 400 Refill Schemes across the UK and the Refill Revolution is growing internationally with Stations around the world from Australia to Latin America.
Find a Scheme
Explore our regional and national Scheme pages, or search the map below to find the nearest Refill Scheme in your area.
Meet the Refill Schemes
Get to know who is behind the Scheme, and how these local champions are spreading the word of the Refill Revolution.
In the 18th century, Streatham was known for its natural springs and was a popular resort town. In the early 20th century, Streatham was seen as the West End of the South.
Kings Cross is a busy hub where many industries have their offices and many people pass through
on their way across London or even to the continent via St. Pancras. As well as rapidly developing as a destination, with Coal Drops Yard and Granary Square, it also has a long-standing community and student population of University of the Arts London.
Oswestry is a friendly community minded market town located in the North of Shropshire close by
the English – Welsh Border. The market dates back to 1190 and today the town still retains its vital function as an award winning market and shopping centre serving North West Shropshire and Mid Wales
Hackney strategy sets for other local plans and strategies should help us to make Hackney a fairer,
safer and more sustainable place for everyone, and to protect Hackney’s open, inclusive community spirit for future generations.
Once the ancient capital of England and former seat of King Alfred the Great, Winchester came top in the Happiest Places to Live (Royal Mail UK Happiness Index) having been named ‘The Best Place to Live 2016’ (the Sunday Times).
Bassetlaw is a historic district, with its two main towns – Worksop and Retford – achieving their charters as far back as 1246. We celebrate the Mayflower 400 year anniversary this year in 2020 as The Pilgrim Fathers, who colonised North America 400 years ago, formed in Bassetlaw.
Working with the water companies
Water UK and the water companies across England have been helping to increase the availability of free drinking water to the public and reduce plastic pollution. And collectively, with all of our partners promoting Refill, we’ve prevented over 100 million plastic water bottles from entering our waste stream. So, you could say, it’s been a flowing success.
Start a Refill Scheme
If you can’t find a scheme in your area, why not start one and power the Refill Revolution in your community? Schemes empower their local communities to take action against single-use plastic and pointless plastic by signing up businesses as Refill Stations to the Refill app and getting the Refill sticker in windows throughout the local area. They also help create long lasting change by encouraging people to carry reusables and hosting local events to raise awareness.
A huge part of heading up a Refill scheme is about being an agent for change. By starting conversations in your community and collaborating with like-minded organisations, you’ll help create a wave of change that will have a long lasting impact in your local area and beyond.
What we expect from Refill Schemes
- Bring together a team (big or small) that will help you run a successful Refill Scheme.
- Sign up local shops, businesses and community buildings as Refill Stations on the Refill app.
- Get stickers in windows of Refill Stations so people know they can refill there.
- Promote your scheme locally with events such as ‘action days’ or a scheme launch event and use appropriate channels such as social media or community forums.
- Engage with the community to encourage behaviour change – from fun to formal eg give speeches to groups, organisations and councils to art events, stalls and flash mobs.
- Sign a simple agreement with us that will outline basic expectations including the area or region your scheme will cover.
- Keep in touch with your Refill Regional Coordinator to let them know what you’re doing.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- Support from a friendly and knowledgeable Regional Coordinator to help ensure the success of your scheme. Your Regional Coordinator will provide essential materials and guidance to help you develop and launch your Refill Scheme.
- Refill HQ will help promote your local activity through key channels including our newsletter, Refill social media channels, and the Refill website.
- You’ll become part of the growing Refill community, with over 30,000 Refill Stations registered and 300,000 app users in the UK alone. Your community will feature on the Refill Scheme map on the website with 25,000+ visitors per month.
ARE YOU READY TO START YOUR REFILL SCHEME?
If you’re liking the sound of starting a Refill Scheme in your local area, we’d love to hear from you! All you need to do is fill out this expression of interest form and one of our Regional Coordinators will be in touch shortly.